Still be developed?

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Hi

I am wondering if this is being still developed? It seems to be still in beta and there has been no updates since Feb and under planned releases nothing is shown.

So I am not sure if to use this or what seeing it is in beta still.

Also what is the difference between this and the toolkit for asp.net Mvc?

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hi Steve,

I have the same question.  It seems to me a lot of the validation concerns that people are having with Entity Framework, MVC and in general really are being addressed in .NET 4.0.  Did you stop working on xVal to concentrate on the upcoming release of 4.0?  I for one can't keep up with all these releases and constant new and better ways of doing things.  Any advice for those of us who, like me, are lost in an endless loop of learning new technologies and no longer have time to actually get work done?

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Hi there

Yes, xVal is still being developed! You're right that there haven't been any "official" releases since February, but if you check out the "Source code" tab on Codeplex, you'll see that there have been numerous updates since then.

I'm calling it "beta" simply because there are still some features I want to include (culture-sensitive client-side message formatting templates, a dynamic client-side validation summary helper, and possibly Ajax-powered remote validation) before calling it the 1.0 version. That doesn't mean the current latest source-code version has any quality problems - it's definitely production quality as far as I'm concerned.

Development is a bit slow at the moment, but if you want to contribute some coding effort, you'd be welcome.

> what is the difference between this and the toolkit for asp.net Mvc?

Can you clarify please? What toolkit? There's nothing official from Microsoft that's similar to this.

> a lot of the validation concerns that people are having with Entity Framework, MVC and in general really are being addressed in .NET 4.0

If that's so, that's great, but I'm not sure what specific technologies you're referring to. Could you clarify? I haven't stopped working on xVal but am working slower because my other work demands (delivering an ASP.NET MVC application for a client) have taken priority.

Cheers

Steve

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Edited Jul 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Ok that is good to hear!

P.S

You should put in ajax validation it seems like a pretty good idea.